Thursday, March 10, 2005

Lent Day 30

Had to do a 10 minute presentation this morning for my hermeneutics class on African-American black theology. Impossible to cover in 10 minutes of course but it was fun to research. I have always been fascinated by the civil rights movement in the '60s (must be all that listening to Public Enemy as a teenager). Found myself listening to some Martin Luther King speeches yesterday, which I always find incredibly moving. The famous I have a dream one at the 1963 March on Washington, and even more amazing the "I've been to the mountaintop" in Memphis 1968, which must have been one of the last speeches, if not the last one he gave before he was murdered, and he knew it was coming.
The rest of the class did South African black theology, Chinese Christianity, Korean Christianity, and Feminist hermeneutics, speaking of which, interesting article on women in the New Testament by Kenneth Bailey here.

No comments: